Monthly Archives: April 2012

Lights, cameras, ACTION !!

image borrowed from Clifton partnership.org

This project has been a lot of fun so far. Our first milestone was finding a place to shoot the opening scenes to our video.  Due to the complication of the shots we needed our location to have a few key characteristics.  First,  the place needed to be dark and second it needed to be large enough to maneuver a camera dolly ( or whatever we come up with to replicate one).  We decided it would be most convenient  to find a place on campus.  We also thought it would be the easiest !  Now all we had to do was find a place that was dark  but during the day.

The first place I thought of was one of  the writing rooms in Murray Hall.  So I contacted the writing department and we were in luck they had room 003 available Friday but was booked solid the next two weeks.  However, it was only available for an hour and a half and we would need at least three hours. So, we decided to go ahead and book it for the hour and a half; after all it was better than nothing. So today I called to reserve it and it ended up opening up for two more periods . giving us three hours and twenty minutes.

Our second milestone will happen tomorrow when we finally begin shooting footage for our project.  that is where I suspect we will run into our first or a few hurdles. Since some of the shots we are attempting are a bit complicated and need more technical editing, I anticipate them being a bit of a challenge.  Also, I am wrestling with the thought of trying to do some things with Adobe After Effects which will be more like The Great Wall of China  as opposed to a hurdle.

All in all I am excited about our project and feel it will all fall into place.

Although at the time I am writing this our first two milestones have not officially happened yet


Creative Commons

Later that night, after class, I began browsing the content on the Creative Commons website. At first it seemed a little daunting. After all, these artists are unknown, what could I possibly find here ? Right? Wrong, I began listening to the various artists, and while most of them are unknowns you will be surprised at what you find.  For example I found an album from the Beastie Boys.  That aside, there are so many good artists. I ended up downloading more for my iPod than I did for the project.  One Song I found could really set the tone for the  more heavy vibe we are attempting to achieve.

At first I really had trouble finding videos that would fit the direction we are going. Most video’s I found were funny, light PSA’s, not exactly where we are going. I finally found a Video that would fit nicely.  It’s a story that speaks to how little is known by parents in regards to digital abuse.   As far as videos go, I have also found a few parts of videos that could possibly fit into the project a well.

One of the ways to stop on-line stalking is to unfriend an abusive partner on Facebook. this brings me to the Photo  I came across. I really didn’t think I was going to find much in terms of pictures, and for the most part I was right. I had to start thinking outside the box. When I started going over ways in which teens can escape and protect themselves, the unfriending suggestion was put forth.  So, that’s the way I went with the picture.

In doing this blog assignment I am really tempted to suggest our group try to get all or most of our material from Creative Commons. It does take a bit of time to search through stuff, but there is a wealth of material available. Especially in those works where you can alter and build upon them.


Putting Your Story on the Board

Image Borrowed From Amazon.com

After starting our storyboard I think our creative process remained constant. However, as I anticipated it was a bit more difficult doing it over a chat window than in person. Again, it wasn’t impossible just a bit more challenging.  We are still consistently throwing out ideas and more often than not, they fit right into the project.  Our biggest challenge is finding a time when we are all available to meet up on Google. Everyone is extremely busy so it sometimes has to be late at night.

The only thing that has really changed for us during the storyboarding step is the refinement of some of our ideas. Also, we are tying things together into a cohesive unit as opposed to a bunch of unattached ideas on a bunch of slides.  The one element I think we really need to nail is an appropriate soundtrack. We found a perfect song, and we reached out for permission to sample from it and we are still waiting. In the meantime we are searching for other options.

All in all, I am having fun with the storyboarding step. It really does give your project a vision. You can vision what it will look like on film. Our ultimate vision hasn’t changed. We want to put forward a project that is more serious than “campy”.


Brainstorm: Pre Storyboard

Image Borrowed From Wikimedia.com

The creative process in our group really took off. We started a bit in the hole because two of us missed the day the assignment was given. This put us a little behind, but we had no trouble catching up. Brainstorming over Google is a bit tricky and time-consuming, but not impossible. We are all on the same page in terms of our creative vision for the project and are throwing out some great ideas.  I like the direction in which we are going.

For our Day One project we are trying to go a little heavier.  I think the seriousness of the issue deserves the tone to convey just how serious it is.  However, we are not going too heavy since the target audience is teens. In watching the two example videos posted on E College; it seems they attempted to be a bit lighter in the delivery of their message. The real trick is transferring this onto a storyboard and really portray the project in the light we intend it.  To be honest I’m really not sure how I am going to reflect it in the storyboard, at this point.